The Tomahawk is without a doubt the Daddy of all steaks. Weighing in at a whopping 42oz it comes from the rib section of the cow has the entire rib bone still attached giving it the appearance of a tomahawk axe. It certainly makes a talking point at the dinner table!
Looking more like a meat joint than a steak and can easily feed 2 carnivores, even 3 at a push. The marbled, fatty texture combined with being on the bone give the meat amazing flavour when cooked.
When Morrisons sent us one I couldn't wait to taste it but unusually there was something which flummoxed me, how to cook it! In the end I opted for a pan and oven combo.
Instructions for cooking a Tomahawk Ribeye steak:
1. Preheat oven to 180. Unwrap the steak and allow it to come to room temperature.
2. Seasonal well with salt and pepper. Wrap some foil around the bone end so you can use it as a handle
3. Add some oil to a griddle pan and turn up the heat. Sear the meat for about 2minutes each side.
4. Place the joint in an oven dish and roast for approx 25mins for medium.
5. Allow the meat to rest for 10minutes then slice across the grain to serve.
I served ours with homemade herby sweet potato fries and homemade BBQ beans.
Thanks Morrisons for a yummy new steak experience! We'll be eating Tomahawk again!
Linking up to #tastytuesday.
We were sent this steak to review but all opinions are our own.
Artist, Baker and Blogger. Mum to my two beautiful, cheeky girls. Muddling my way through parenthood with equally cheeky Husband.