1. Attend Sporting Events
If going to a sporting event isn’t feasible, you can have a little healthy competition at home. For instance:
• Watch a big game at home. Enjoy the game along with some food and snacks (healthy and unhealthy..)
• Have the kids race the kids electric cars in the house or in a nearby outdoor space. Up the ante by rewarding the winner!
• Challenge your kids to a tournament of their favourite sports video game. Make it competitive by introducing a fun prize for the winner.
Suggestions of specific activities you can do include hosting a party or doing arts and craft projects for kids in the hospital, helping out at your local food bank, donating warm coats and blankets to a shelter and walking dogs at your local animal shelter.
3. Outdoor Adventures
If your kids are nature lovers, get a pair of binoculars and go bird watching. Have your kids keep a journal with pictures and descriptions and compare it to the different birds they see in other seasons.
4. Road Trips
Make sure everyone leaves their gadgets/phones at home so you can enjoy the journey together. Also, choose your favourite car music and pack some snacks. Remember, it’s not so much about the destination as it is the journey.
5. Get Crafty
Here are some arts and crafts ideas you can do with your kids:
• Build a bird-feeder using pine cones, peanut butter, birdseed, and some strings, then hang them up and spend the afternoons birdwatching.
• Make a homemade snow globe. Clean out an empty baby food jar and fill it with sparkles, glitter, and teeny beads. Add water and shake it up.
• Make slime. Slime is popular with kids as it is easy and fun to make. Additionally, there are many ways of preparing it. Here’s how to make slime with ingredients you can find at the grocery store.
6. Catch a Parade
Winter blues shouldn’t take a toll on your kids. Keep them active and engaged with the activities mentioned above and there will be plenty of fun ahead for all of you.
About the Author
Han-Son runs DaddiLife - a parenting website for dads which covers a range of areas from things to do, health, reviews and much more.