Last night it was Brother-in-law's birthday and our meal was finished off with the perfect birthday cake - a tower of brownies made with THE ONLY brownie recipe worth making; The Humming Bird bakery recipe.
The recipe is easy to find online http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/hummingbird-bakery-s-traditional-brownie
It is the simplest, tastiest brownie recipe you will find - guaranteed. But the magic really happens when you take your basic brownie mixture and pimp it to create a multitude of flavours and toppings.
My favourite recipe adaptations are:
- Marble the top of the brownie by swirling golden syrup or white chocolate into the top of the mixture just before you put the tray in the oven - use a toothpick to create patterns.
- Add chunks of milk and white chocolate into the mixture.
- Substitute half the dark chocolate for milk chocolate to create a lighter brownie.
- For chocolate orange flavour substitute Terry's chocolate orange and poke additional segments into the top to create texture. If you are feeling naughty you can swirl Cointreau liquor through the mixture.
- Add chopped pecan nuts.
- Smash fresh raspberries into the mix.
The possibilities are endless! Make sure you don't overlook the brownies as they should be gooey in the middle. And unless you are eating them warm (YUM!) wait until they are completely cool to slice.
This post is linked to the weekly #PoCoLo linky each week over at http://www.vevivos.com/2014/02/07/post-comment-love-newbie-showcase-7th-9th-february-2014/