Did you know it is Afternoon Tea Week?! Very exciting! I am amateur baker and love the concept of a decadent mid afternoon sweet treat. The scones are by far my favourite bit. Amazingly I only recently had my first 'proper' Afternoon Tea at The Park Lane Hotel. I'm officially hooked!
The English Provender Co. Are sponsoring Afternoon Tea Week and have devised some delicious recipes which you can make at home to rival the big hotel Afternoon Teas . I will be sharing three recipes this week plus giving you the chance to win some of their luxury curds! Perfect for topping a scone or mixing into a muffin.
Blueberry & Lemon Scones
Makes: about 10
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
300 g self- raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
75 g butter, cut into small squares
50 g caster sugar
100 g blueberries
3 tablespoons The English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd
150 ml milk, plus extra for brushing
The English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, Gas Mark 6. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl then rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar and blueberries and mix well. Whisk together the milk and lemon curd and gently stir into the breadcrumb mixture, with a rounded knife until the mixture is a soft dough and comes together in a ball.
3. Gently knead on a lightly floured surface to remove any cracks. Roll out to 2 cm thickness, then using a 6 cm fluted pastry cutter, cut into rounds. Gather up any spare bits of dough and knead lightly, roll out and make more scones.
4. Place on a baking tray, spacing them a little apart, brush the tops with milk and cook for 10-12 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack.
5. Delicious served warm or cold, split in half and top with clotted cream and lemon curd.
Cook’s tip- handle the dough as little as possible or it will become tough. Any remaining scones can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days- just reheat in the oven.
I have 2 sets of The English Provender Co. Luxury Curds to give away during Afternoon Tea Week. To enter simply complete the Rafflecopter form below. Competition closes at midnight on 17th August. Good luck!